top of page

Aruba 2021

Sea Bobs

Motorized ocean wheelchairs for me...

I was checking out the weather for the day and it was going to be a balmy 88 degrees outside. 

IMG_0676 copy.jpg

Now today's adventure was picked by Sakari, so no surprises for her today. We are going to ride the SeaBobs. Last time we did these, we went with Aruba Bob down on the opposite side of the island and went to Mangel Halto. It was an AMAZING adventure. The coral that we seen and the whole trip in general was perfect. We ended up in a shallow area to rest then circled back around and over a shipwreck. 

Well, I wanted us to have a different experience this time around and was reading up on the trip by Noord. Seabob Aruba would be the one on that side of town. 

Now there are different trips you can take and of course the price depends on the trip you want. 

The cheapest is a turtle tour for $95 and you are in the water for 45 min.

Next is Boca Catalina, Malmok, Rock formation, 3 trapi, turtles area and small reef for $115 and in the water for 1 hr 10 min.

The grand pappy of them all tour is everything listed above PLUS the Antilla Shipwreck for $125 and in the water for 1 hour 30 min.

Now of course I asked Sakari what she wanted to do and once she heard the words "shipwreck" everything else I said was a complete blur. I guess shipwreck it was.

So here's the full description of our tour:

IMG_0680 copy.jpg

And this is the hubby getting ready for the day. He's let his hair grow out and it's at the point where it won't stay out of his face when snorkeling. However, he decided against the pebbles look this time around. LOL

IMG_0678 copy.jpg

So, I booked the tour for 3, costing $375, and our tour would be at 2:30PM.  

IMG_0641 copy.jpg
IMG_0642 copy.jpg
P8010001 copy.jpg

At 2pm, I decided it was time to head out...I never like to be late for anything even though it was only right down the street.


We pulled up at Boca, the meeting place, at 2:10 and managed to snatch a parking spot under a tree and that would keep our car a little cooler for when we would return. 


We waited and waited and didn't see anyone show up. I thought that was weird because normally vendors are really early for tours.


Of course since we were away from the house, we didn't have any service, but I was able to somehow get on my phone and read emails that had downloaded prior to us leaving. I had an email from them saying they needed to know our exact address (even though that was something that was filled out with our booking) and saying that the driver needed us to get on Whatsapp to give him the exact location so that he could pick us up. Wait what? I had talked to the people in the office many times and that was one of the questions they had ask me...Do you need picked up or do you have a car while on the island. I told them I had a car and would just meet them there. 


Now panic was sitting in because somewhere along the line they are trying to pick us up and there was no way to respond. I didn't know what to do because they had not showed up at Boca yet.  I asked the hubby if we were at the correct location and he had assured me several times. He's always been my personal GPS so I believed him. Wrong answer! Always take matters into your own hands!

At 2:40pm I decided to get out and walk up to the beach entrance to see if maybe they were down in the water and had parked somewhere else. As I walked up to the entrance, it said we were at Tres Trapi!!!! Crap!

Back to the car to let the fam know we were at the wrong beach!!! I drove next door and seen their van with the seabob's on the back...whew! They had finally found me. ;)

I told them what had happened and it was ok because they were still getting paperwork signed by the other couple and hadn't even taken the seabob's off the trailer yet. 

We stood around for quite some time and they ask if we wanted to wear wetsuits. Sakari and the hubby declined and I can always take them or leave them. I've been suckered into getting a wetsuit with previous places before (usually scuba diving) and they won't mention there's an extra charge for it until after you complete the tour. However, I decided to go ahead and take one.

Next up they would have a short class on how to use them and the speed of them: which would be 0 (click) then it would go to 15 (click) then 30 (click) then 45. Now I assume this meant 45km, which would be about 27 mph. 


P8010008 copy.jpg
P8010009 copy.jpg
P8010010 copy.jpg

We went down into the water at 3:15pm. They did carry all of the seabob's for us...thank goodness.


Drag Layer copy.jpg
P8010600 copy.jpg
P8010599 copy.jpg
P8010601 copy.jpg

They brought the seabob's down to the water one by one. As they hit the water, each one of us would decide if that was their lucky color that they wanted. Sakari picked a faded neon yellow/green color. I picked a bright red color and the hubby had a silver one. The other couple had a bright yellow and a red one. I had really wished they had a different color for the guy because it would make it easier to tell us all apart in pictures. 

Once you got your seabob, you could go around the area and practice using it while everyone else waited on another one to come down. 

P8010013 copy.jpg
P8010015 copy.jpg

By 3:20pm we were all in the water and ready to head out. He said "Let's go find some turtles!" as we took off down the coastline. Of course prior to heading out, he would tell us "In no way chase the turtles or get close to them. We don't want to disturb them"

P8010026 copy.jpg
P8010027 copy.jpg

Within 3 minutes we would spot our first turtle. Now my pictures didn't turn out too good...especially since we weren't allowed to get close to them. :/

P8010602 copy.jpg
P8010604 copy.jpg

What we did notice is that he was diving down right beside them and taking pictures and going along with them. Hmmm, why couldn't we do that as well?

P8010060 copy.jpg

Then we came across this turtle who looked like its shell had been smashed at some point. 

P8010068 copy.jpg
P8010071 copy.jpg

After seeing the turtles, he asked everyone "Do you want to swim along the reef and coral or do you want to head over to the shipwr....." Everyone screamed SHIPWRECK! Well, everyone but me. I didn't even get to say anything. I mean yes I wanted to see it but at least thought they would have us on the reef for awhile.

So, off we headed....out to the deep blue sea. 

P8010606 copy.jpg
P8010609 copy.jpg
P8010610 copy.jpg

Sakari was really good at diving down. She's a pro. Of course she's always good at everything she does and especially if it's water related.

P8010611 copy.jpg
P8010612 copy.jpg

He would take several pictures of us as we zipped along and headed out to the shipwreck. I have to say that he took an abundance amount of Sakari. She was doing all kinds of dives and turns. 

We made it out to the shipwreck and I was kinda disappointed in not really being able to see the greatest. Now I know that the deeper you get, the visibility gets least from the perspective of being on top of the water looking down. But this was a lot worse than I had pictured in my head. I remember when we did the seabobs before at Mangel Halto, we were over top of a shipwreck (that was much deeper than this one) and we could still see the entire thing easily. 

There was nothing but deepness and darkness around us. I don't like that feeling at all, which is probably why I usually don't do boat snorkeling tours or I freak out when diving and come to a wall that you can't see what is over the wall. Eeeekkkkk! 

P8010613 copy.jpg
P8010614 copy.jpg

I couldn't really see anything but Sakari went down and got some better pictures with her camera. 

P8010615 copy.jpg
P8010616 copy.jpg

The guide went down and took some more close up shots as well. 

P8010141 copy.jpg
P8010144 copy.jpg
P8010146 copy.jpg
P8010176 copy.jpg
P8010220 copy.jpg
P8010251 copy.jpg
P8010260 copy.jpg
P8010268 copy.jpg
P8010126 copy.jpg
P8010169 copy.jpg
P8010168 copy.jpg
P8010174 copy.jpg

Sakari was going waaaayyyy down there and truth be known, it was freaking me out. I mean I know she can hold her breath for a very long time and I know that she now has this motorized scooter but me not being able to see what was down there all kinds of things were racing in my head. I think this is why I sometimes have these little panic attacks when diving...I over think things and get all up in my head and then anxiety kicks in and sometimes panic. I've always been an over thinker and imagining all the terrible things that could go wrong at any given moment. I need to get on some chill pills or something. Ugh! I was always relieved to see her surface again with a smile on her face. It was always comforting to me. Now mind you, this is pretty much what I was seeing when I looked down.

P8010623 copy.jpg
P8010624 copy.jpg
P8010619 copy.jpg
P8010621 copy.jpg

And yes, it's pretty far out there and there are boats going back and forth to and then boats that are coming in to show their snorkeling tour the shipwreck. Throw that into the mixture and I have a whole lotta nerves on my hands.

P8010187 copy.jpg
P8010195 copy.jpg
P8010198 copy.jpg
P8010222 copy.jpg
P8010620 copy.jpg

Then we spotted another turtle and Sakari would get the good pictures of it because she was the one down there.

P8010625 copy.jpg
P8010629 copy.jpg

The guide would chase the turtle and get a better picture of course. 

P8010236 copy.jpg
P8010631 copy.jpg
P8010307 copy.jpg

So at some point the guide decided to take off and head back to shore and when I say take off, they took off! We were really far behind and really struggling with the water. We were going against the waves and water in our face and it was very hard even though we had the water scooters. I'm going to be honest, I was giving out and my arms were getting tired. I would have to stop every so often to just hang on and rest. The part that upset me was that we were left behind. Like we couldn't even see him OR HIS RED BOUY that helps protect us from boaters out in the water. That was the scary part. But, I was glad I at least had a bright red seabob and hopefully any boaters passing by would see us. The last picture I would take at the ship showed the guide coming up in the water at 4:04pm

P8010632 copy.jpg

The next picture would be one that I took as we stopped along the way to rest our arms and we were getting closer to the shore. I had drank so much sea water at this point I might as well have become a fish. This would be at 4:17pm, so almost 13 minutes out there by ourselves. We were getting close to Arashi and hoping we were heading the right way as we still didn't see the guide or the red buoy yet.

P8010633 copy.jpg

This guy behind us didn't seem to be having too many problems...he was just going along with the waves on his flying board. 

P8010639 copy.jpg

So the time we officially made it back with the rest of the group was 4:21pm. I know this because I snapped a picture once we arrived...even though it was blurry.

P8010644 copy.jpg

He tried to snap a few pictures of us, but I was so mad I wouldn't even look at the camera and turned around. I was tired, my arms hurt, I drank so much salt water and we were left. That about sums it up. The hubby was busy making sure I was ok. He's always so worried about me. I think ever since I broke my leg and then developed a blood clot, he's been overly worried about everything I do. He knows I've always been pretty active, especially when it comes to vacations and now he just thinks I push myself too much and I'm going to get hurt. Although he's probably right, I do push myself, even if I'm in pain, because I try to live life to the fullest and cherish every moment , except moments like this where we are left behind to fend for ourselves, but I don't like to be held down. If there's a possible way for me to do it, I'm going to try! I'm trying to gain back as much of my dependence that I can. Now I know the way a lot of my patients feel when you try to take everything away from them and do everything for them. Don't get me wrong, he still has to do a lot for me like carrying and lifting things. Any added weight is very hard on me and anything that requires balance is also hard (like steps and especially carrying things on steps or an uneven surface). 

P8010313 copy.jpg

So we had made it to the shallow end and there were boats everywhere up and down the coast. 

P8010316 copy.jpg
P8010328 copy.jpg
P8010323 copy.jpg

So after we got to the shallow area, the hubby ask Sakari and I how far could we "click" our speed. Three times of course, from 0, 15, 30, 45. Well he kept saying to try to click it again but why?? Well here's why...he discovered his clicked a lot more times than just 3x. His clicked 5x and went to 75km!!!! That means it goes as fast as 46mph!!! I guess he discovered on the way back and said he would put it all the way up and couldn't understand why we were going so slow and he would have to wait on us. Well, THAT'S WHY! We had no idea. 

He decided to give Sakari his seabob and she started playing around with it and having some fun! She was doing flips and circles and anything else she could do. She loved it!

Meanwhile, I was snorkeling with mine and checking out the reef. 

P8010652 copy.jpg
P8010655 copy.jpg
P8010656 copy.jpg

The guide took a few pictures of the reef as well. They turned out pretty good. 

P8010344 copy.jpg
P8010347 copy.jpg
P8010359 copy.jpg

Sakari was busy having fun and he took pictures of us zipping around. I definitely felt more comfortable in the water here than way out where I couldn't see where I was going. 

P8010361 copy.jpg
P8010363 copy.jpg
P8010366 copy.jpg
P8010372 copy.jpg
P8010374 copy.jpg
P8010375 copy.jpg

Now for some reason, he didn't really take a lot a pictures of the hubby. I'm not sure what happened there but we ended up with only 2 pictures of the hubby riding the seabobs. Mostly everything we got was of Sakari, which I don't mind having a bunch of her but man, at least get a few of all of us. I did get a decent amount, but most weren't of me under the water, which believe it or not, I did do, especially on the way out to the shipwreck. 

P8010380 copy.jpg
P8010382 copy.jpg

The guide told us that we were going to head back. Sakari yells "mom, did you see the starfish?" I had to go see it and take a picture, even though the picture ended up very blurry and I'm not sure why. Actually I ended up with a lot of blurry pictures for some reason. Maybe it was the setting. It would be the ONLY starfish we found during our entire stay. Last time we were here they were everywhere. 

P8010649 copy.jpg